Wednesday, September 11th
headed in to work
Friday, September 6th
Friday, August 9th
Monday, July 29th
In Egypt, the sunken city of Thonis is brought to light.
Wednesday, June 19th
Translation, by Peggy Schutze Shearn;
via The New Post-literate.
Monday, June 10th
My latest translation project is the story "Lavender Mist (1955)", from La casa de la loca. An exciting project, and I'm close to finished with it; I'm planning to submit this story to Asymptote journal's Close Approximations contest.
This book is another that I bought on the strength of its cover illustration -- Rafael Trelles' painting "El suceso inesperado" (The Unexpected Event) pulled me right in. Contents:
The final section of the book is "Fragments of a Novel" about a young man who kidnaps people to steal their experiences. Tantalizingly pretty but very difficult to follow.
- "The Madwoman's House (1915)" -- Rosario Diaz, widow of the author Alejandro Tapia y Rivera, works on an unfinished story of her husband's.
- "Glen Island (1900)"
- "Black House (1904)"
- "A Few Prosaic Lines (1915)" -- a woman sews clothing to support her family and writes (and translates!) poetry on pieces of a cardboard box.
- "Lavender Mist (1955)" -- Salvador Suárez visits the MoMA.
- "Birds of the Soul (1963)" -- After he was released from prison, Nathan Leopold ended his days as a birdwatcher in the Caribbean. Here he writes about the Paloma Sabanera (Columba Inornata Wetmorei), the final entry in his Checklist of Birds of Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.
- "Coconut Milk (1988)" -- A sort of repulsively smug New Yorker named Thomas Smith describes his travails in attempting to reproduce a recipe from Puerto Rican Desserts: An Illustrated Cooking Tour of our New Possession by Rose Kilmer (1900), given him by his uncle William.
- "The Poison Pen (1999)" -- Nurse Belisa Weaver, daughter of an Irish man and a Puerto Rican woman and mother of an estranged son, tries to make some money for her retirement by connecting couples seeking to adopt with pregnant young women.
- "The Green Man's Interlude (20--)"
Sunday, June second
Monday, April 15th
Thursday, February 14th
Wednesday, January 30th
Previous posts about Pretty Pictures
Drop me a line! or, sign my Guestbook.
Check out Ellen's writing at Patch.com.